Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A morning jog...

I finally got my running shoes out for a jaunt. Well, yesterday, at the beginning of soccer practice, the coach told the kids to run all the way up to the bench on that mountain over there on the other side of the field. I looked. That one??? The one you can barely see?? Isaac was a little shy to play with the big kids, so I ran with him, and realized that these little 8 year olds are in great shape! (Isaac is only 6, but could run as fast as I could). That was at the beginning of soccer practice, and I sat and chatted with the other moms for the rest of it. The kids came home with dirty knees, muddy shoes, and huge grins. I decided that today it was my turn to play.

So today, on my first venture out, it's raining with strong Northerlies. Isaac is home sick, and I walk Nikolas down to the bus stop. I'm dressed for running, which is a little cold for standing at the bus stop, so the two of us jog 1/2 way down to the beach together and back. Still no bus, so we jog a little ways up the road and back. And again.. and again. I ask him where he thinks I should jog, and he recommends getting out of the wind on the other side of the island. Brilliant! So today, I run along the Esplanade, where the weather is drizzly, but no wind. I look for birds and mammals and admire the ferry in the distance in the rain. I run over to the Rec Center to ask about the indoor soccer for the kids . And I run back.

Total today is about 5.5 km. This is a long ways down from where I was running last year at this time, but it's a HUGE improvement over where I was last month at this time. No matter how you look at it, I come back with dirty shoes, sweaty clothes, and a huge grin. It's a good day.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment